1 kg of Italian-style sausages
(tip, if you are cooking this recipe the same day as making the sausages, don’t bother to stuff the mix into skins, just roll it into meat balls about 1½ to 2 inches in diameter)
4 rashers of back bacon cut into 1 inch pieces
2 medium onions, diced
2 large cloves garlic, sliced
1kg tomatoes, quartered
1 red pepper, cut into ½ inch pieces
8 cup mushrooms, sliced
1 tablespoon Tomato puree
80 ml water
1 chicken stock cube
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon dried leaf basil
½ teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon dried leaf oregano
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1 bay leaf
black pepper to taste
- Add some olive oil to a large frying pan, and brown the sausages over a medium heat. Remove and place in a large casserole dish.
- Fry the bacon in pan, remove with a slotted spoon and place in the casserole dish.
- Add the garlic, onions, red pepper and mushrooms to the frying pan (add more olive oil if necessary) and sauté for about 3 minutes. Remove with the slotted spoon and place in the casserole dish over the sausages and bacon.
- Add the tomatoes to the frying pan and fry until soft (about 10 minutes) and add to the casserole dish.
- Put the water into the frying pan with the stock cube and salt, bring to the boil and use the concentrated stock to de-glaze the pan. Add the herbs and tomato puree to the pan, stir around to make sure it is evenly mixed, and pour it over the tomatoes in the casserole dish.
- Bake in oven for 1 hour at 160 degrees centigrade. Before serving, taste the sauce and adjust seasoning. Serve with pasta or rice.